torsdag 5 juli 2012

The Restored Finnegans Wake

“In writing of the night, I really could not, I felt, use words in their ordinary connections... that way they do not express how things are in the night, in the different stages – conscious, then semi-conscious, then unconscious. I found that it could not be done with words in their ordinary relations and connections. When morning comes of course everything will be clear again... I’ll give them back their English language. I’m not destroying it for good.”


Så sa James Joyce till Max Eastman efter att han först förklarat att avsikten (vilken man måste betrakta som framgångsrik) med Finnegans Wake var:

”to write a book obscure enough to keep professors busy for 300 year.”

Hämtat ur TLS med anledning av utgivningen av James Joyce: The Restored Finnegans Wake, edited by Danis Rose and John O’Hanlon (Penguin 544 sidor).